Where is your thermostat set? Home made bators.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goochgirl, Dec 12, 2010.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    I'm using the same $8 HD hot water heater thermostat as seen on most of the homemade bators here. I would expect them to have somewhat good accuracy. I realize, of course, that we are heating lightbulbs, not hot water. Mine is pointing directly to the "2" in the "52C" mark (I'm reading it upside down and through the lightbulb, so I think that is correct. Its the one on the bottom) My temp is holding at 96.5.. still too low. I know I need to turn it up a bit, but I'm worried about it being too high as well. I know when I first turned it on, it was just perfect. Then I fooled with it to adjust for a 25w bulb. Now I'm back to the 40w and its still off. Just wondering where other peoples are set to get to the correct temp for their bators.

2. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    You don't use the dial on the theromstat to 'set' the temp , just to change it , use a theromomoter to 'set' the temp by adjusting the theromostat to make the temp right on the theromomoter.

3. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Quote:ga_goat is right... With your screw driver, or whatever you're using to adjust your temp, turn the adjuster the tiniest amount that you can towards 'hot'...watch the movement of the adjuster and don't worry were the pointer ends up. Wait an hour or so until the temp stabilizes before making another adjustment. Making the delicate changes without going over or under the desired temp does test ones patience.
    Your 96.5 temp is taken with a thermometer isn't it?

Mikey

4. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Quote:Oh, I am. That is exactly what I have been doing. I just noticed that I'm going up and up from where I started, and I was wondering where other people have theirs set for ideal temp. The size of the box, bulb, and distance is going to make a difference. I was just curious, really.

5. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    with my thermostat (and this works great for me) it has a 4 degree on and off I have set the high at 102 to go off and it comes back on at 98 and I have gotten 69 chicks out of 90. Since I have not seen your bator it would be hard to say what your temp should be at the thermostat because I have a high of 102 in the bator at the thermostat it could be 98 and the 102 temp is because I know its not going to stay at that temp for very long and the 98 is only going to be at that temp for min at most. thats whats fun with a home made you have to figure out things since there is no instruction book that comes with it and there are some here that would think that 102 is to high but it works for me

and on the screw adjust if you turn the knob to turn off the light, turn it back the other direction half of what you turned it

6. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Quote:OH...in that case, I have two bators and both of mine are pointed at the '5' and the thermostats are about an inch and a half from my 40 watt bulbs. Temps range from 98.9 to 101 but can vary slightly from day to day but not enough to change anything.

Mikey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by