Where oh where.... Are the eggs?????????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tellynpeep, Apr 15, 2009.

1. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    For the last two days I've gotten very few eggs. Tonight there was just ONE. I went for an egg-hunt in the woods, and found two nests hidden in/under some downed pine trees.
    Whatever has posessed them???? All but one hen seem to be preferring the great outdoors to their great chicken coop and wonderful nest boxes! How do I get them to repent and return to their former ways????

2. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    spring fever. close em in for awhile until the remember to use the nest boxes.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I would just like my pullet flock to lay consistently - out of 10 the most I have ever gotten was 8 in one day and today I only got 3 [​IMG]

4. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    i've only gor one that seems to like the great out doors, but when I do find her nest, I take the eggs and usually she will start to lay in the house again, but tends to go off after a few weeks again until I find her enst again... they just need to learn

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    The problem is they HAVE been laying consistently in the coop till now. Suddenly they are all laying outside. Time to build a fence, I suppose. (They have free range of the land so far, so looking for outside nests is a real challenge!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by