Where oh where in SW Ontario can I find a few hens/pullets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Norman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Norman

Norman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    Ontario
    Where in SW ontario can i get a hold of 3 pullets/hens? Any ideas? What are your thoughts on livestock auctions? Should I just drive up and down country roads and stop at random farms and see if anyones willing to part with a few of their layers lol? I am not really interested in any of the massive hatcheries. I would rather buy from a small-time breeder even if it means spending a little more. I am looking for heavy, cold-hardy varieties...with a docile friendly nature (as these girls will be pets firsts, layers second)

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

If you go back to the main Index and scroll, you'll find some hatcheries and breeders listed![​IMG]

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    where abouts in SW Ontario?

4. Norman

Aug 10, 2008
    Ontario
    I am located close to Woodstock, but am willing to drive a few hours if need be.

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    in St Jacobs there is Freys they have a website...(thats where I got my girls) family owned hatchery...

there is the auctions on fridays nights just north of woodstock I can get more info on that if you would like I was planning on going this friday myself...

and then there is all kinds of fall fairs starting soon...

6. Norman

Aug 10, 2008
    Ontario
    Do you know what time the sale starts? Ill definitly stop by to see what they have...though...haha i have no idea how livestock sales work, how to bid and what not. Will probably make a fool of myself [​IMG] but im ok with that as long as i get my hens lol.
    A lady at the Sindens feed store in Norwich told me about a livestock sale every friday in Haggersville. She said its hit or miss on whats there but there is always a lot of poultry. Its all day. Ill try to get some more info

7. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    ok Norman I have a plan...we will find some way of finding each other at the auction ans we will make fools of ourselvs together... [​IMG]

I have never been to one either...

keep me posted on the ones you mentioned in Norwich and Haggersville...thanks

8. Norman

Aug 10, 2008
    Ontario
    You got it haha! Iam going with my sister and mother to Hagersville early afternoon, and then to woodstock in the evening. The one in Woodstock is behind the racetrack in the poultry barn on Friday evenings (was told theres a bit of everything and always a ton of pigeons and rabbits), bidding starts at 7pm, but the animals start coming in around 4ish. im still trying to find details on the Hagersville one. What are you hoping to bid on?

9. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    I was thinking about adding Easter Eggers to my flock...maybe some silkies

10. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Well all made fools of ourselves at our first auctions. you can try waintfleet Auction Center http://www.wainfleetauctioncentre.com/
    I
    don't know how far that would be for you to drive but based on the prices I see people quote here for going rates on hens these go CHEAP, I think the MOST I saw a hen go for was 4 bucks I have seen people here quote 15 bucks for a hen as the going rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by