Where on His Body is the Worst Place

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Where on a rooster's body is the worst place to kick him in terms of danger to the rooster? The chest? The wings?

If anyone has had a rooster kicked, and he was injured, could you please share your stories here with me? I will print them out and give them to my chicken sitter and the fellow who advised him to kick my rooster, for educational purposes.

Thank you very much.

Also, I'd be interested in the cost of associated vet bills you have had.

2. ANYWHERE on a roosters body is a BAD place to kick him in. NO person for ANY reason should be doing this. plain and simple.

1 person likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I don't advise kicking. We had a rooster that was kicked by a neighbor. Broke his leg right at the hock, was dangling. It took 8 weeks of splints and wrappings plus some healing time in his own coop as the hens beat him up something fierce the first time he thought he was well enough to fly down from the coop to the run.

I've had roosters stand off at me with aggression. I simply hold my ground and actually move towards them. On occasion I'll have to put up my foot to stop them from possibly flogging me but not actually kick them merely holding them at bay until I can move aggressively toward them so they back off. Dominating doesn't need to be physical contact. Chest bumping until one backs down is common rooster behavior. Holding a foot out to a roosters chest is the same thing when they want to make a stand at you. Actually you can provoke aggression by holding your foot out close to them so it's really knowing animals and being confident with your obvious superiority. That and not turning your back to one that you think is weighing in his move.

4. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The chicken sitter didn't kick at my rooster's crop. I had warned him that he has a delicate crop, according to the vet I took him to once. So he kicked at his wings. I asked how hard he kicked. The neighbor told me he hadn't really kicked, had just stuck his foot out at him, but the chicken sitter didn't disagree when I asked whether he had kicked him. He said he had kicked hard enough to get his point across but he didn't think it was hard enough to hurt him. Though the rooster did stand with his beak down in the snow afterwards, and the chicken sitter thought he might have killed him.

I sure wasn't expecting this. I need to find a new chicken sitter. These types who believe in corporal punishment of chickens don't work out with my animals. I hadn't thought they might apply corporal punishment to my helpless little rooster.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You cannot have a chicken sitter or anyone kicking any animals unless it's a real threat to them. I would pen him if you need a sitter. Or carry a thin branch. Or like I do, I just keep walking at them making them move continuously. If anyone kicked my chicken of mine would be gone in a flash.

6. X2. My dh kicked my rooster once. He suffered for months. And i dont mean the rooster

7. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    nice!

The closest I came was swinging my purse at a rooster. It was a sneak attack and he latched onto the back of my legs. **** that hurt, so I swung my purse at him just to startle him enough to get him off of me. I couldn't bring myself to kick him. I didn't want to hurt him, but I also didn't want to get hurt.

8. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I had 3 aggressive roosters. Note that I said had. I kicked 'em. Then turned 'em into soup, but that's beside the point. I don't put up with mean roosters. I by no means kick them hard enough to cause damage, and I try to be careful about where I kick them, but if they attack me, I'm gonna give them a good whop to let them know that's unacceptable. It worked for me.

9. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I would never kick a rooster.. Or any animal. However, if the rooster poses a threat to myself or my hens I have no problem giving him the ax. It breaks my heart most of the time but I will not keep something dangerous in my yard that poses a risk if a child came to fetch a stray ball out of my yard.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would not be having any sitter kicking my birds, or any animal on my place for any reason. [​IMG] You are the owner and you are the one who will have to cull the bird or pay the vet bill when he is injured. BIrds have hollow bones, they don't need to be getting kicked around. If that is the only way this person can deal with the bird then he shouldn't be doing the job. Either need to pen up the rooster or have a sitter who knows something about roosters and can do the job without kicking the bird around. The person can also just run the roo off with a barn rake or broom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by