Where or how do I test my dead chicken for Marek’s? I live in Rhode Island

Last edited:
There are a few labs, such as RAL in Texas, and University of Georgia who do PCR Mareks blood tests on chickens that owners collect at home. Blood is taken from a trimmed toenail, then you put it into something they have sent you, and you mail it back to them for about $40. I don’t know how you could do this now on your dead chicken. Here is the link for RAL:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

You may want to keep the body cold, not frozen, and send it into one of the labs in the links above for a necropsy, and they can later do testing. Sorry for your loss.

There are a few labs, such as RAL in Texas, and University of Georgia who do PCR Mareks blood tests on chickens that owners collect at home. Blood is taken from a trimmed toenail, then you put it into something they have sent you, and you mail it back to them for about $40. I don’t know how you could do this now on your dead chicken. Here is the link for RAL:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

You may want to keep the body cold, not frozen, and send it into one of the labs in the links above for a necropsy, and they can later do testing. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you! This is helpful as one more of my chickens is sick now. Still eating and drinking but paralyzed legs. The other that died… looked woozy n was shaking his head oddly, his legs were not paralyzed but he couldn’t stand well and died fast. He was sick one day and gone the next :( I loved that roo

Thank you! This is helpful as one more of my chickens is sick now. Still eating and drinking but paralyzed legs. The other that died… looked woozy n was shaking his head oddly, his legs were not paralyzed but he couldn’t stand well and died fast. He was sick one day and gone the next :( I loved that roo
Bummer. Good on you for seeking a definitive answer by getting necropsies.

Back
Top Bottom