Where should I get my baby chicks?!!

lcourtneymom

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
Last spring we started with Buff Orpingtons. I love, love, love my chickens and obviously want more this year. :D We got our chicks at Southern States last spring, but our Southern States is closed now. We have a Tractor Supply, but I've heard some negative things about their chicks. I've looked up mail order places and some have large quantities you have to purchase. We'd just like another six.

Where is a good place I can get my chicks?

There are positive and negative things about Tractor Supply depending on the employees.
If you go with Tractor Supply, make sure you research the breeds you want and what the chicks look like. And also chicks that look similar just in case the chicks get mixed up. Be picky about the chicks you choose, watch the chicks to see which ones you like and make sure they pick those for you.
Do you have any other smaller farm stores that sell chicks near you?

Tractor supply isn't too bad. You can also check other local feed stores. I know some of the online hatcheries get pretty good reviews, but I've personally not used them. I found a local hatchery near me that I'm going to drive to to pick up chicks and pullets. Perhaps do a google search to see if there are any near you?

Go ahead and buy them at TS. Some of the complaints against TS are valid but the vast majority are ones a knowledgeable chicken owner would of realized and corrected or walked away from. Most of the SS staff was hired by TS so you can't use that argument. The stores get their chicks from the same hatcheries. The biggest argument is the large store chick commitments go to the front of the line. Their orders are filled first. Single orders might not be filled until late summer or fall due to recent events. You will not have the luxury of waiting a few days to go pick them up. The store will probably sell out the day they come in.

If you're ordering, small orders, I liked my experience with Mount Healthy Hatchery last year. The prices weren't bad, and they weren't backed up too long. If you're looking for a local store, Tractor Supply sometimes gets judged unfairly. My local TS manager really knows what he's doing with the chicks/ducks. He even educates the employees about them. That said, if you research their breeds before you go in, you'll be better for it. It makes sense that not every employee is going to be able to keep all the information straight, especially if they don't know anything about chicks to begin with. Whichever route you go, good luck expanding your flock.

You can call around and find out which local stores have which chicks coming and what hatcheries they use, and if they order vaccinated chicks or not. Then look up what people think about each hatchery and decide that way. The local store near us also did a good job making sure the chicks they sold were healthy. They actually held them for q couple days after arrival to make sure they all recovered from shipping okay before selling them.

Last spring we started with Buff Orpingtons. I love, love, love my chickens and obviously want more this year. :D We got our chicks at Southern States last spring, but our Southern States is closed now. We have a Tractor Supply, but I've heard some negative things about their chicks. I've looked up mail order places and some have large quantities you have to purchase. We'd just like another six.

Where is a good place I can get my chicks?
Meyer Hatchery and MyPetChicken both have small minimum orders although Meyer recently raised their shipping. Cackle I think does small orders too but they have a small order fee but might not be that bad compared to the others. Ideal has no minimum order number, just a minimum of $30, which I think you would hit depending on individual chick prices.

Back
Top Bottom