where should i get my new girls? online or farms store?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by farmerswifeony, Apr 11, 2012.

1. farmerswifeony

farmerswifeony Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    SWW
    Hi, I am trying to start a small flock of layers. I was just curious on about how many you would recomend for a house of 5 with three teens, and where you would suggest i purchase them. I have looked into a few sites and called many stores and i am just not sure what i should do here.
    Thank you much[​IMG]

2. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    Three layers per person will usually suffice. The farm store is a fine place to get them unless you want a specific breed. They usually carry a variety of good laying breeds. Plus you don't have to pay shipping and it is convenient.

3. JiJis hens

JiJis hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Best place to go is were you can actually look at the conditions were they are breeding them. You never want to support unethical breeders.

1 person likes this.
  4. farmerswifeony

farmerswifeony Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    SWW
    Thank you i ended up buying way more chics than we will ever truely need, but i love chickens and we have the room so i am good with it. We went to the auction last week at yard birds and again this week to both yard birds and coal creek. What a fun time!! I am now looking for a incubator. My kids and i baught 2 dozen mixed maran eggs and would like to hatch them out. Spring is so much fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by