WHERE SHOULD I LOOK? Boston, Mass! Chicks wanted ASAP

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by t-dawg, Jun 12, 2008.

1. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Ok, I live in the Boston area of Massachusetts, and my daughter really wants chicks for her b-day, but i can't really find anybody who has chicks. Where should i look?(Im not a first time owner;when i was a kid, we raised chicks, but now there pretty hard to come by up here were i live.[​IMG] ) PLZ HELP!!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am going to move this to the Buy/sell/trade forum and maybe someone will have chicks close by.

Yayy for birthday chicks!
  3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    check on craigslist for the Boston area. I have seen plenty of chicks being posted in the farm/garden area
  4. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    Chicken stock is happening at the tractor supply store in Milford NH in a couple of weekends - check out the chicken stock thread for more info.

5. thebirdgirl

thebirdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Northeast, MA
    Hi T-dawg,
    I'm getting a shipment of chicks from McMurray's early next week (26 of them!) and was planning on finding homes for a bunch when they were a little older. But if you would be interested in raising them I would part with some earlier. How many are you interested in? 21 of mine will be sexed pullets- all different fancy breeds (I let my nieces pick out the breeds). I'm on the North shore, 30 minutes north of the Tobin Bridge. My email address is [email protected]
  6. monty617

monty617 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Lancaster, MA
    I live in Worcester MA and I feel your pain. There has been a surge of orders in our area this year it seems. If you don't want 20+ chicks they are near impossible to find. Most of the online hatcheries are 15+ orders which is a bit much for a small backyard coup.

The Littleton Agway does 2 large shipments every year. Unfortunately both dates have past. BUT... I happened to get on the last shipment and they showed up just today (6/13/08). AND I have 2 Buff Orpington chicks that need a home. There are a few people in line already, but if I do not hear back in the next couple of days they are up for grabs. Let me know if you are interested.
  7. path

path New Egg

Jun 13, 2008
    MyPetChicken.com allows you to order as little as 3 chicks at a time for an extra charge. I think it was $25.00.

8. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    I don't get it, now you have a daughter? In your earlier post you were asking how to convince your parents to let you get chickens? Sounds a little weird to me.. But mypetchicken.com and ideal don't have min. orders, or you could check your local feed store, craigs list, etc.
  9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:funny. I thought I caught something like that as well.
    Anyway. Craiglist. I have found a lot of free/cheap chick ads on there. Or Ideal.. although they are sold out of a lot of breeds til either fall or even next year right now:th

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by