Where Should I Put My Broody Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickonthehill, Sep 16, 2009.

1. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    I have a broody hen that I am going to put some eggs under. I plan to put her in a small dog carrier. Should I put the carrier in the coop so the hen can still see the other chickens? I have another room in the shed that my coop is in and I can put her there but she won't be able to see any of the other chickens. Which would be best?[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I keep mine with the rest of the flock.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, it depends a bit on where she is in the pecking order. If she's easily bullied, I'd mover her out, even while she's just setting. If she's not bullied, you can leave the crate/nest in the main part, with the door off the crate so she can get out and get food and water, and poo, which she'll do once or twice a day.

When she's near to hatching them, or, the day they hatch, I'd move the whole thing into the other room with feed and water available, so she (and they for the first few days) can move around freely and get feed and water, she'll bring the chicks out when she's ready to present them to the rest of the flock.

If she's a super top hen, and there's no way other hens will dare interfere so she'll be able to protect her chicks, well, you could leave em in the main part and let her handle it.

Sorry not to be of more help, but there are many variables.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    As Portagegirl said, there are many variables. I'd leave her in the coop with the other chickens in an isolated pen but different people do it different ways. It will help with reintegration issues later. This thread might help you decide how to approach it. Good luck!

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

5. thechickonthehill

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Thanks so much all of you for your quick replies. They are very helpful. I have a large dog carrier that I used to brood chicks in that will fit in the coop. It has plenty of room for her and food/water. Since this girl is high up in the PO but not on top, I think I'll just put her food and water in with her and close the door. Once her chicks are up and running, I'll open the door and let her decide when to come out. Now if those eggs will just get here!

One other question occurs to me. She only has a golf ball under her right now - should I put a couple of real "starter eggs" under her until my fertile eggs arrive (probably Saturday)?

NEVER MIND, I FOUND THE ANSWER IN THE THREAD YOU SO HELPFULLY PROVIDED FOR ME![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd just put some more golf balls until the eggs arrive.

I made the mistake of keeping my one and only broody in the coop. Out of 8 eggs only one fully developed and it didn't hatch. I wish I could have separated her from the others somehow.

7. thechickonthehill

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    I just wondered if it would worry her not being able to see the other chickens and she would stop being broody. Just my luck, I order eggs and have nothing to hatch them with!

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:That is why, after you move her, to use fake eggs for a few days to see if she will stay on them. Then order your eggs.

I think it also helps her stay broody if it is not real bright. They seem to like it a little dark or at least shady.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by