where should we get baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Phionex Boy, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    Where is a Very cheap shipping place to get baby chicks? We tried My pet chicken and it was $40.96! Any suggestions in a PLACE AROUND BEAUFORT,SC?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Finding chicks locally will be cheaper as you will not have shipping charges to consider - are there specific breeds you are looking for? You may find there are members here who either have, or know someone who has, the breed(s) you are seeking that could provide birds to you directly vs. having not only to pay for shipping, but have the issue of shipping stress for the little ones (especially a consideration with the time of year and your location)

3. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Songster

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have ordered from My Pet Chicken due to the fact they will ship a low minimum and sell sexed chicks (in fact I believe it is the only place that will sell sexed bantams in the US). When shipping just a few chicks, they have to take a lot more precautions with temperature/packaging-which costs money.

With that said, if you are planning on ordering a large quantity, there are many places you can order from and bring the cost per chicks way down.

What breed? How many? Do they need to be sexed? Are you looking for layers/meat birds?

4. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    we are looking for 1 RED STAR and 2 white plymouth Rock we need hens we dont want rooster! We want it for eggs.[​IMG]

5. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Songster

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Ok so if you are going for that small of an order then My Pet Chicken is probably the only hatchery you can order from. However, you should check craigslist for local breeders who would sell you a couple. (Plus they will probably be better quality). Another great resource is to look for a forum on here (BYC) that is for your state/area and ask them for references of whom may have some.

GOOD LUCK!

6. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    Thanks im trying [​IMG]

7. samandemsmommy

samandemsmommy Chirping

Jul 14, 2014
    Hickory, NC
    Check craigslist. I found our breeder there- ours is in Oakboro, NC- not sure how far from you that is- it's near Charlotte/Albermarle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: