Where should we place the coop? Predators?

Mar 18, 2019
North Carolina
First time chicken owners with 21 chicks. Hilly pasture land with a small derelict barn in NC(which means we have every predator possible and level spots for coop limited.)

Chickens will be in 12x12 dog pen with mesh on bottom/top to protect from digging/climbing predators and free range during day.

We have two options.
A. Chickens kept next to derelict barn 100yards from house with plenty of nice grass/shade trees(but also plenty of places for predators to stage an attack). 100% protection from hawks here due to the trees/bushes.

B. 15ft from our house, 100% open pasture for 3-4 acres in any direction which provides zero areas for predators or even rodents to approach unseen but likewise provides NO protection from hawkes above for the chickens and it's constantly sunny with no shade other than over their pen. We're also worried would the noise be too much?

Any suggestions?

So, when you mention trees and shrubs they can be both good and bad. Yes they can provide shelter from sun/rain/snow, yes they can provide cover from hawks, but they also provide a ladder for other predators to climb up and drop in your run from above (think raccoons). Personally I like the idea of near the barn, especially if you can store your tools, feed, and other supplies in the barn structure nearby and use the vegetation for protection from the elements. Can you see this location from the house? I do really like that I can see my coop easily from a window so I can peek out and attempt to check on things. You can consider some bird netting across the top of your dog pen to stop predation from above. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom