Where The Heck To Find A Micro-Pore Mask?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Juise, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I have been looking all over the place for a micro-pore face mask that I saw recommended for cleaning the coop. Our hardware store didn't have any, and nor did our TSC.

Is this what it is called? Am I looking for the right thing?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You can get a decent respirator at any hardware store in the paint section. A good one is put out by 3M. It has various cartridges you can use depending on what you are trying to avoid inhaling. I think it is about $30-$40, but it is good for life. You just swap out the cartridges as they wear out.

Good luck.

3. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Those are a bit out of my budget at the moment, but they do sound good in the long run, thank you. [​IMG]

The respirators I found at the hardware and feed stores I checked were going for keeping out things like dust, but not the fungal spores you need to worry about when cleaning chicken poop - they won't help prevent Histoplasmosis. (If I spelled that correctly.)

I'm updating to say, in case anyone is interested, that I did find the appropriate masks eventually at Walgreens in their first aid department.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by