Where there is great love, there are always miracles ~ Willa Cather

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sonstoffie, Feb 5, 2019.

1. sonstoffie

sonstoffie Chirping

Feb 5, 2019
    South Africa
    Hi all BackYard Chickens!

(1) I am completely new to chickens, we (me and my husband) bought our first chickens on the 27th of January 2019.

(2) Currently we have only 2 chickens, a hen and a rooster. Luckily we still have 2, our rooster is currently in "ICU" recovering from an attack.

(3) I do not know the breeds, we bought the pair from a pet shop in town (we live on a farm). I will post some pictures some time then you can help me to identify them.

(4) We want to have backyard chickens so that they can provide eggs for the household and I really enjoy the sound of them being around.

(5) Other hobbies that we enjoy are adventure motorcycling, 4x4 trips, ballroom and Latin dancing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and advanced dog training with our own dog.

(6) I work from home as a Test Analyst, the farm is my office. Not our own farm, we only rent a house between the macadamia trees from the farmer. We have a cat, a dog (Belgian Malinois) and now also the 2 chickens.

(7) I was looking for tips and information regarding wound treatment for our rooster after the attack and came across BYC, I have not known about it before now. I decided to join because I want to share my story about the attack with you, share what worked for me up to date and I would also like your input for a successful recovery going forward. It was a traumatic experience for me to be completely honest with you. I believe a miracle happened, even more than one miracle, and I am thankful that our rooster is getting stronger by the day. I will find the correct section on this forum and I will add my thread there.

I am looking forward to taking part in this community!

Where there is great love, there are always miracles ~ Willa Cather

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Hope your roo will have the best outcome possible.

3. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
  4. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Welcome to the great adventures that chickens will bring -- the eggs, the sounds you already like and all the entertainment. I don't know the details of the attack on your rooster, but how wonderful that he is recovering. Congratulations on your miracle!!

Welcome, too, to BYC. There are a lot of knowledgeable, friendly people here.

5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun!

6. Clubber1234

Clubber1234 Free Ranging

Feb 11, 2018
    My Coop
  7. N F C

N F C coffee time!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Sorry to hear your rooster was injured. @JedJackson has given you a link to the ER forum, hopefully they can help you help him make a full recovery.

Thanks for joining us!

8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I am looking forward to hearing your story about your rooster. I'm glad he is recovering.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck to your rooster.

10. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Hiya :frow
    Nice to meet you!
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: