Where there's life, there's hope.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by critterkeeper25, Dec 18, 2016.

1. critterkeeper25

critterkeeper25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all,

I am posting this as I have been through what many of you are experiencing right now. I am posting this to show you the little glimmer of hope, at the end of the tunnel.

It all started for me on 11/2. My hen exhibited the usual signs of illness, listlessness, not eating, isolating herself. I suspected sour crop, which we all know is only a byproduct of something else more insidious. I treated for the sour crop, along with treating for worms, and cocci. Two Crows was an endless supplier of treatment options as well as my biggest sorce of emotional support. I could not have done it without her.

It ended up that my hen had a seven inch "rope" of long grass that was about 1/2 inch in diameter, that was causing an impaction in her digestive tract. I am not sure that this was eaten as fresh grass out on the edges of our lawn, or if this was hay, that was discarded by my horse, which we utilized in the chicken run as cover for the dirt. I am leaning toward the latter, as I witnessed my sick hen attempting to eat this hay while she was in quarantine in the garage. I will no longer be putting hay anywhere inside of the coop or run. I believe that this rope of grass was the cause of all her troubles. Somehow she managed to poop our this huge rope of grass.

It has been 46 days since I noticed that my hen was not well. Today marks the 5th day that she has been "normal'. She is back to acting like all the other hens. The only exception would be that her poop still has an off smell, kind of musty like swamp, but is is now normal in form and appearance. She passed her second cecal poop this morning.

It has been a long road to recovery. There were several days when I thought it was her end. Days when her comb was dark and purplish. I feared the worst, I cried. But every day I kept hearing my grandmother's mantra, "Where there's life, there's hope."
    It's been the comforting thought that has kept me from giving up on her, when things looked their worst.

So today, with a light heart, I decided to post this message for all those who are suffering through what I have been through. Hoping that my grandmother's mantra may give you hope, when you fear there is none.

Here's to hoping for a healthy and happy holiday season for all, human and feathered alike. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Gave me chills,Glad @TwoCrows could help you.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by