I had an interesting morning. I was woken early by one of the dogs, who kept jumping on me and whining. Not her normal routine. So, I got up, and quickly realized that I could smell smoke. I ran downstairs and there was smoke pouring from our makeshift brooder full of week old ducklings. Somehow, the lamp fell into it. How that happened with a long pole run through its mounting ring across the top of the brooder is something of a mystery. Anyway, the bedding was smoldering up a storm and the downstairs was full of smoke. Lovely. I transferred the ducklings into a bucket (thankfully the light didn't trap any of them), wet down the bedding, and went outside for a while with all the critters to let the smoke clear. It seems nobody is worse for the wear and the ducklings are back in their tub, with the addition of a chain going from the light to the ceiling. Next time, I won't be so easily satisfied that there is no way for the light to fall in.