Where they lay there eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmericanMom, Oct 8, 2013.

1. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Ok, so this maybe a really dumb question..

I am not new to raising chickens, have had a flock for going on three years, last summer decided to increase my flock by adding a Rooster and loved the idea of getting baby chicks to replenish my flock, everything worked out great, the girls accepted him and I just recently incubated and was able to hatch 20 eggs, did this to get a jump start as winter in setting in and figured I wouldnt have a hen to go broody again til next year anyways and then would allow nature to increase what I have.. the 20 chicks just recently got there own mini coop next to the big coop with access to a run just for them, the older hens can see the babies but cant get to them.

For three years the girls have had one nesting box they always laid eggs in, the coop is very large and besides the roost they have access to 8 nesting boxes but always used just one, its funny as there is sometimes a line of hens waiting to be able to lay their egg in this one box... Well, today I went out and those that decided to lay eggs laid in a completely differant box and one even laid outside under a trailer we have, noticed it walking back to the house. My chickens are shut in the coop/run at night but I let them out every morning to free range the half acre they have access too.
    My question, I thought chickens were creatures of habit, why would they switch all of a sudden? Would it have started with the first hen deciding for a change and the others just followed? We went from getting 6-8 eggs a day last week to getting 4 a day now, I know and dont expect that i will get as many eggs as I have hens as they dont lay eggs every single day, but were getting colder and the wonderful Oregon rains have started and wanted to make sure that if this could be a sign of a possible broody in waiting that I am prepared for her.
    Or is it wishful thinking on my part? [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    it sounds like broody to me too. unless you changed their box some how the babies probably give them a yearning. how many hens do you have together? i have a picture in my head of an assembly line. haha

3. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    No changes to the big coop, I have ten hens togather along with two teenagers and a rooster...I joked with Hubby over the weekend as we were doing the addition that the peeps would make a hen want babies, didnt think it would actually happen as its gotten colder and wetter the last couple weeks, Its kinda funny as sometimes we have an impatient hen who will sit on the other and just lay her egg...When one is sitting usually got a few running in and out of the coop making a commotion, told Hubby its like their saying "hurry up already, I got to GOOOOO"

[​IMG]

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i dont know our weather differance but one of my rir just started sitting and 2 more just finishing up. its dropped 20 degrees and 4 in. of rain the other day. Indiana . bet thats it tho, or mabey she just couldnt hold it any more. hehe

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    did u try fake eggs in the other nests?

6. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon

LOL, great minds think alike, I just got in from taking care of the rabbits for the night and thought, hey, I'll put the fake eggs back in the nest and see what happens...

Not sure which girl is thinking it (if thats whats going on) but alittle concerned if its the Easter Egger, both those girls lay but have only started laying the the last two months and both are hyper anti social... Got an Australorp thats highly anti social and she is the only one of the three BA's to go broody, but did an awesome job... Guess time will tell, going to start counting heads when I go out to make sure where everyone is [​IMG]

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    haha, of course we do! try leaving them in a little later in morning, after they lay.

8. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon

I'm actually going to leave them in the run tomorrow as I'm going to be away most of the day... I will start leaving them tho til after 10am or so and just see what happens...

Joke will be on me if I get one that goes broody considering I just hatched 20 chicks... already going to be over run lol

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    o boy, ben trying to get some one to make some chicken and dumplings. hope it works out for u

10. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Me too.... speaking of chicken and dumplings....that sounds kinda good...should have made that tonight instead of bbq chicken
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by