Where to begin???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmgirl_09, Jan 27, 2011.

1. farmgirl_09

farmgirl_09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    I have decided that I want to raise meat and laying chickens, but its so hard deciding what breeds to go with and which hatchery to get them from. I live in SE Michigan. I've heard good things about Townline, and Cackle. Any advice? I'm thinking that I want Cornish Cross for meat, and a mix of RIR, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Australorps, and a few Leghorns. I want breeds that are especially docile. I've heard that ISAs are good, but only available from Townline? I feel like I'm on chicken overload. I like the Hungryman's Special from Cackle (50 straight run Jumbo Cornish Cross & 25 brown egg layers(hatchery choice)), it seems like a lot of birds to jump in with, but I like that I can raise all the meat we would need in under 3 months. I just feel like I need some help! Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Cannot go wrong with Townline. They are "local". Don't overlook Meyers, just to the south in Ohio, either.
    You'll get more chicks next year. This isn't a once in a life time decision. Lot's to learn and enjoy. Don't sweat it.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Fred's Hens :

Cannot go wrong with Townline. They are "local". Don't overlook Meyers, just to the south in Ohio, either.
    You'll get more chicks next year. This isn't a once in a life time decision. Lot's to learn and enjoy. Don't sweat it.

I'd skip the Leghorns, they are usually flighty and spooky and not at all docile, and there isn't enough meat to make them worth processing when they stop laying.​

4. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I have never met a calm leghorn. I have always enjoyed my buff orpingtons for well mannered birds. Of hens I have kept for their good behavior and are past good laying- one red cornish, two americauna, two EE, one slw. RIR hens have usually ended up as soup after being removed to a pen of their own after terrorizing the other layers. I have had several good roosters but only two have been outstanding in behavior, hen care and breeding stock- a red cornish and my current EE. Good luck and have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by