1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to build a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gogododo, Oct 21, 2011.

1. gogododo

gogododo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Hands down the toughest decision when getting chickens is where to put the coop?

Do i put it near the garden so they can clean it out for me?

Do i put it under a grove of spruce trees so they are closer to the house and more protected from flying predators?

Do i put them on that little hillside that i don't really have any other use for?

How did you decide where to put your flock?

Tom

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure where you live or what your summers are like, but I vote shade!!!!

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    put it under a grove of spruce trees so they are closer to the house and more protected from flying predators

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I vote next to the garden. I suggest you make your garden twice as big as you need, then divide it into two sections. Alternate each year with the chickens in one side and the garden in the other, then switch each year. I vote for making it as easy on you as possible. Each operation is a feeding one, both the chickens and the garden. By combining them you have them feed each other and save you half the work of each.

5. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    You could make a tractor coop. Here is one .. You can move it all around your yard .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by