Where to buy a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickiyo, Jun 21, 2010.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Summer and I am the proud owner of two baby chicks. Both of which are now they are living in a cage. I want to buy them a coop online, as I am pretty much a failure as a builder. (Broke thumbnail when attempting to build small birdhouse.) I have a budget though....$150-200 dollars [​IMG]. Its not high, but I only have two chickens, so I do not need the equivalent of a chicken mansion. So does anybody know a good online place where I can find a modest hutch and run for this price? I tried Ebay, but it did not work out...$1200 for a chicken coop?! Thats ridiculous!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would definitely try Craigs List...the farm and garden section. Also, with only 2 chickens, you might look for a nice large wooden doghouse that would require only a few changes to convert it to a house for 2 chickens (although you'd still need a run). For a run, you can look for old dog runs (Craigs List would be your best bet for that too).

3. chickp

chickp Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Georgia
    I bought ours with the intent of two chickens for $125 on Craigslist. Of course, we got four instead, so now we needed to buy a bigger coop. There are a few here in Georgia for sale at around $100 for two chicks, heck, I'd sell you mine if you were local. Good luck.

4. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    You'll have a hard time finding something of decent quality for that price. You could easily spend that much for a cheap coop only to replace it after the first winter of wet weather. There's a lot of out of work handymen and contractors right now. I'd make some calls and see if you can find someone who would be willing to build it for you. You could even drive around to some construction sites and see if you can pick up the bulk of your lumber by asking for discards from their trash piles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by