Where to Buy Black Cake Confetti?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ClareScifi, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I've thought up a way to make ladybug deviled eggs, but I can't find the small, round wafer-like cupcake confetti I need for them in black? Has anyone seen any in the stores anywhere?

I called Zurcher's, Michael's Craft, and Orson Gygi, but none of them carry them.

I did see some online in Halloween mixes with orange and white, but I need only the black, and I don't want it licorice flavored.

If anyone can tell me where I could find it, I'd be ever so grateful. I thought some party stores might carry it in their Over the Hill 50th Birthday sections of party supplies?

Clare

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I have bought a food coloring box that has black as one of the colors. Could you just make your own with frosting? If your spread it thin and let it dry on waxpaper?

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    That is a very clever idea, Fried Green Eggs! I do have a bottle of black food coloring that has a cute black cat on the label. Might be worth a try!

Do you think I could just slice off the ends of black olives and get a good effect for black ladybug spots? That would be easier.

I am planning to use black olives as the ladybugs' "heads," with dabs of white frosting for their eyes.

Not sure I could get olive end circles symmetrical enough looking though for uniform spots? What do you think?

Maybe we could all try our hands at making some and vote on whose look the most realistic?

Clare

4. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Walmart carries a Wilton brand black sugar sheet, it is the size of a piece of paper you could use a paper hole punch to punch as many out as you need. I use this type of paper for cake decorating. I would google it to see what I am talking about, you could also possibly use black fondant rolled super thin cut out also. Hope that helps a little [​IMG]

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for the great tips.

But wouldn't the piece break if you tried to punch them out with a paper punch? Have you tried that? I can't imagine that they would stay in one piece without breaking, but they might? I had no idea this product existed, so thanks for the heads up.

Clare

6. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Use the black olives and get a small coffee stir straw and punch out circles into the olive with the straw.

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Oberhaslikid,

That is a novel approach. Worth a try!

What do you think of piping cream cheese that has been dyed black onto the eggs? Might work, too?

8. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008
    No, it has some flexibility to it, I just used scissors to cut out the circles and shapes I needed, it worked quite well for me. I don't think you would have a problem using a punch.

9. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting, Frogdogtimestwo.

I called Jo-Ann's fabrics, and they sell these sugar sheets, but they said they thought I'd need to buy the special paper punches that they sell with them to punch out the dots successfully, that a regular paper punch wouldn't work.

Do you think that is true, or do you think they were just trying to scare me into buying their special Wilton sugar sheet paper punches?

10. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008
    I would bring a punch with you and try after you bought it before you left, if not I would get the punch but from what I could tell they just looked like regular punches used in scrapbooking. I would not waste the money if a hole punch would do the trick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by