Where to buy Bobwhite and/or Mountain Quail chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lanimilbus, Mar 15, 2010.

1. lanimilbus

lanimilbus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Central Maine
    I'm looking to buy Bobwhite and Mountain quail chicks to raise this year. So far, however, I haven't found any place online that sells Mountain Quail chicks; only eggs. And I haven't found any place that sells Bobwhite chicks in quantities less than 50, and 50 is far more than I need/have room for.

On a second note, assuming I'm able to find some place to purchase both, can Bobwhites and Mountain Quail be raised in the same coop together, both as chicks and adults?

Thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    What state are you in? Anywhere near NY, I have some bobwhites in my incubator hatching this week

3. lanimilbus

Oct 3, 2008
    Central Maine
    Quote:I'm in Maine, so not too too far from NY. However I was thinking of getting the quail sometime in June so I wouldn't be ready for them now unfortunately, as I haven't built the pen/coop yet. If you do happen to have another batch of them sometime around this June I would be interested then though!

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    if all else fails you could buy them from a asian live poultry market. Most sell young quails and you dont have to by fifty, plus youll be rescuing them from being crammed in tiny cages and then being slaughtered

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:NO THEY WILL INTERBREED

6. lanimilbus

Oct 3, 2008
    Central Maine
    Quote:NO THEY WILL INTERBREED

Would this be dangerous to the quail's health or anything? I wouldn't be raising them for breeding, I'd be raising them simply as pets, so I wouldn't try to hatch and raise any of the eggs if that makes a difference.

7. truthjunkie

truthjunkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2015
    Where did you find eggs of the mountain quail for sale?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by