Where to buy chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilcheeks, Feb 28, 2014.

1. lilcheeks

lilcheeks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Byron Center, MI
    I live in Michigan and am looking to raise chickens for eggs this year. I will have the coop finished in the spring, so I thought it would be a good idea to start looking at getting chicks soon. The problem is, I have no idea where to start. I looked on craigslist, and didn't see much on there for egg laying chickens. I also looked in the buy/sell forum, but there isn't an easy way to see where they are being sold from. So my question is, if I want egg laying chickens (i like Amber Star Hybrid), where do you go to get chicks??

Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Most people either order from a large hatchery like Ideal, or pick up chicks locally during the spring "chick days" commonly found at TSC stores or local feed stores. Around here, the way to go would be ask at any local hardware, feed or farm supply store, to find out who carries chicks in the spring, then talk to them. Mine will let you request specific breeds, then they just order a block of them and sell the rest to the public.

There is also things like Craig's list or local farms, but you probably run more risk of disease that way, plus they won't be sexed. Of course you will likely get a male or two even if you order females, as sexing isn't a 100% accurate operation.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You are in luck.

You are pretty close to Zeeland, the home of Townline Poultry. You can either arrange to pick them up at Townline, pick them up at local resellers like Family Farm and Home or TSC or pay the money to have Townline ship you a box of chicks. Now, that wasn't so hard, was it? [​IMG]

Townline specializes in a really nice amber sex link called the ISA Brown. There are very few better layers than the ISA Brown.

4. lilcheeks

lilcheeks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Byron Center, MI
    This is crazy, that place is a block away from my parents house. I never even knew of it! Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by