Where to buy chicks this time of year.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rgcamire, Nov 9, 2014.

1. rgcamire

rgcamire New Egg

Oct 21, 2014
    I would love to get some chicks in the next week or two so they are laying by early summer. Anyone know what company has any in stock and is still shipping? Thanks!

2. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Craigslist. I have found so many local breeders that hatch eggs year round within an hour or two drive of my house. One breeder is actually about 3 miles from my driveway and one is only maybe 8-10 miles away.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi there - welcome to BYC!
    As Cliff has said, a local source may be the way to go - if you share your location those around you may be able to put you in contact with some nearby chicken keepers who would have birds available. If there are specific breeds you want you should also include that information so they can be sure to offer the best information possible to help you find what you are looking for.

4. rgcamire

rgcamire New Egg

Oct 21, 2014
    I would love to buy local! I tried my hardest to find someone through an online search or craigslist but was not successful. If someone knows someone local, I would definitely appreciate the information. I am just outside Colorado Springs and am looking for a breed that is a good layer and good with children, otherwise I am open to what breed I buy. Thanks!

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'd also recommend buying locally. As stated before, many breeders (like myself) have chicks available most of the year.
    Since you've tried Craigslist with no luck, you should check out your states thread in the Where Am I? Where Are You? section of the forum. Its highly likely that someone there can help you out :)

6. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Also i forgot to mention if you're on Facebook or have access to someone with a Facebook page, Georgia has somewhere around 4-5 Facebook Chicken Swap/Trader/Livestock sites.

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    There are people on the CO board that hatch year round. You just missed the bird swap in Brighton today. There were a few people with straight run chicks (copper marans, ameraucanas) that I talked with. If you want to buy 25+, Privett will ship. Probably the closest hatchery. Northern CO Feeder Supply in FC also carries chicks year round. You can call the store and order in what you want (Privett is their supplier), They will order in as few as you want.

If you opt for 25 chicks, you shouldn't have any problem selling the extras around the middle of March. It's not any more work raising extra pullets if you have the room. I've gotten $20 for 16 week+ pullets on CL and can't raise them as fast as I can sell them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  8. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Local is best...but you might check Meyer Hatchery....they have extra chicks each week and you can see what they have on their website. I bought chicks from them and have had them nearly 2 weeks. I did pre-order 6 weeks ahead for those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by