where to buy chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fowlgirl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. fowlgirl

fowlgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    So I guess there are no local chick buying farms in my area,have to buy from far away and have to buy 5 kind. Well I just want about 10, each a different breed, so is there anyone out there who can sell to me locally.Afraid to get from classifieds or Craigs list,hard to trust with diseases and all. Im by Molalla. I want layers.

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey fowlgirl - where is Molalla? If you want to order chicks, there are some hatcheries that will sell you small amounts - Ideal Poultry and My Pet Chicken are a couple. If you have a farmer's coop (feed store), or an Atwoods, Tractor Supply Company or Orscheln's in your area, they usually have chicks.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Your local feed store should be getting chicks in soon too, depending on the weather in your area. It's been in the 70s for a while here in Texas, so I expect chicks to show up any day now.

There's also a list of hatcheries (listed by state) and a list of breeders (by breed) at http://www.CountryChickens.com.

Kathy in Texas

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Are you in Molalla Oregon? If so: There are lots of feed stores in Oregon and many of them sell chicks. I know of a couple even near downtown Portland. Look up Feed Stores in your phone and start calling them. I would check the Wilco on Oregon City. I have 12 chicks on order from the Wilco in Battle Ground (North of Vancouver Wa.) This store is bring in about 30 different breeds spread out through late March and all of April. I believe each of the stores order their chicks independently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by