Where to buy DE in MN?

princetonpeeps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
Princeton, MN
Hi guys! Finishing our new coop, and thinking we're gonna try the deep litter method this time around. Does anyone have any advice where to get the DE stuff up around here?

Never heard of it before this site...
wink.png

Thanks in advance!

-Josh and Danielle

I bought a 50lb bag for around $40.00. I was very leary about the shipping costs. I was surprised to see this...

Notice I used your Zip Code. It is the same all over the lower 48.

Now, let's say you want 200lbs...(Lifetime supply for me...) Let's see how much shipping would be for that...

There must be a mistake. It didn't change.

Yup, $4.95 flat rate shipping. I ordered 50# of DE and 300 Egg Cartons...Still only cost me $4.95 for shipping.

I know that if you have a local supply it would be cheaper, but I didn't. I had to buy online. This was the best option for me.

I am new to this site and have found lots of great info too! I just recently read about the deep litter method also and we are going to try it too. I bought my DE at TSC. I thought it was reasonably priced - $12 for 20lb bag. I see you have a couple of locations near you. I bought a plastic bin ($5 at Fleet Farm) you use for mixing concrete, added some weight to the bottom and put some top soil in it along with some DE and my chickens have been in heaven dusting away!!! Good luck!

I don't measure the amount I put in. I use the deep litter process in the coop, and whenever I add more litter I throw a bunch in. In my six nesting boxes I spread about two handfulls over them and then sort of mix it into the pine by hand. I have a kids plastic swimming pool my girls use for a dust bath and I add it to the dirt in there every time I clean the nesting boxes. It's not an accurate measurable system but it works for me....

Back
Top Bottom