1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to buy Diatomaceous Earth in Southeast AL/Northwest FL area?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mom2chicksandpups, Apr 22, 2009.

1. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Does anyone live in my area and know where I can buy diatomaceous earth? I have called a couple of places and they do not carry it, including local feed stores. I hope I can find some locally, even if I have to drive a bit, to avoid high shipping costs.

I live in Geneva County, AL--not far from Dothan & not far from Jackson & Holmes Counties in FL.

Thanks!!

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Check out my Food Grade DE page. The bottom section has a list of distributors/dealers and a few of them are listed by state.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

3. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    I went to my local feed store to get it (DE), they didn't have it, i asked if they could order it & the guy called his supplier and i got a price right then and there and he ordered it, Took a wk 21.95 + tax. 50#s

4. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Thanks. I will try some more feed stores within a short driving distance and then start asking one to order some if nobody has it.

5. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have not been able to find any locally and our feed store guys think I am really kooky - I am always asking for something they have never heard of and they are certainly not jumping up and down to get any of it for me. Tried with grit and didn't get anywhere. SO I order DE online from a small family business in NC. I don't remember the exact shipping costs but it was in the region of $7 or $8 for about 10 lbs. Oh well, I am not being much help with specifics [​IMG] but I have been very happy with the service and the product. Their web address is www.shadowridgedonkeys.com and they also have a lot of good information on their website. Good luck getting the DE - we love it and actually take it ourselves from time to time [​IMG]

6. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Thank you! [​IMG]

7. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Just in case anyone else in the area is reading this, I wanted to let you guys know that I found some in Dothan, AL at The Feed Store at 1029 Montgomery Highway (334) 792-2412. I did not ask them for prices, but can if anybody needs me to. I go to Dothan at least once or twice per week, so this will be very convenient for me.

8. Chickadoodle56

Chickadoodle56 New Egg

Jul 13, 2008
    I went online and ordered a #50 bag. Make sure it is food grade. Actually it's fossil shells. I paid more with the shipping charge but it's worth it. I first ordered it from Flemings Outdoors but I only got a #1 bag. Good luck on your search:)

9. esmclain1

esmclain1 New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
    I live in Southeast Alabama -- Did you ever find any food grade D.E.? I'm looking for some here so I don't have to pay shipping. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by