1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to buy diatomaceous earth??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by songbird, Jul 3, 2009.

1. songbird

songbird Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    New England
    Hi - I'm having trouble finding a place that sells DE. Those of you that use it, where do you get it? Anything else that works well for a dust bath? And what type of area do you provide for the dust bath?
    Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have two places I know of that sell it here in the Phoenix Area. (Both feed stores) Pratts' $40. Western Ranchman $27 for the exact same 50lb bags.

3. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Here in NH we have a chain of feed/garden stores called Agway and I was able to get a 50lb. bag from them for $25.99. I haven't decided what I am going to use for a dust bath in the run, but I am thinking about an old tire so I don't have to worry about water building up in the bottom.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Have you got a fleet farm where you live? They should have it there. I get mine at the feed mill for $26 a 50 lb bag. If you buy online its gonna cost a small fortune for a small bag, I made that mistake before I found it at a feed mill. I paid $16 for a 2 lb bag plus shipping!

5. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    Good Question! I have also been looking for it. How would the best way to use it be??

6. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I got mine on Ebay because I couldn't find any food grade around here. I found crawling insect DE, but I wasn't sure if that was safe.

Anyways, I paid $25 including shipping for 10 lbs. I think it was $12 for DE, and $13 shipping [​IMG]

7. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    My agway didn't have the food grade. In fact, none of my feed stores had food grade either. I had to order it online from this website. http://www.earthworkshealth.com/ They have pretty good prices too.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  8. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:Where do you live? Check feed stores, online is WAY to expensive for what little benefit you will receive.
    As for what kind of area you provide for a dust bath... well my idea and my chickens idea of where this "area" changes almost on a daily basis, some times hour by hour. every once in a while I see a good wallowed out spot and throw some DE in it. then of course it is never dusted in again, I'm sure out of spite.
    Good Question! I have also been looking for it. How would the best way to use it be??

dust under the shavings, roost, any dusting spots. even though that could be a moving target... [​IMG]

I would definitely look at local places for it. post a topic like "where to get DE in _____ fill in the city. I'm sure some one will help. I would not buy it online if that is your only option. 2 lbs... I threw around 2 lbs in about 10 seconds today... alternatives would be stall dry or stall boy, and lime. good luck!

Connie​

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  10. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    There's a wonderful seller here on BYC - "Spatcher". He's awesome! Great prices on DE. Not sure where you are, but I'm in VA and he often comes to swaps so you can buy there if you tell him in advance, he'll bring it there. He ships too.

Tell him I sent cha' [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by