1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to buy fish meal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WildflowerJLH, Mar 3, 2011.

1. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

I have found sources for everything else. This is the one thing that I have not found. Any suggestions?

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Not sure where you are located, but around here it is easily found in garden stores. The stand-alone garden stores have more options than big-box stores do. I would check the brand websites for mercury information before buying, though. Otherwise, you can buy online from gardening and hydroponic shops.

3. WildflowerJLH

Is the fish meal that you get from gardening stores OK to make feed with?

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Well...you could try buying fish paste from Asian stores. But it's a paste, so it's wet and yucky.

5. WildflowerJLH

ew [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  6. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Pet stores often sell it for dogs but its very expensive. The livestock kind is much cheaper than the pet kind.

7. Donner

Donner Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Issaquah, WA
    After watching a Monster Fish show about invasive carp on the Mississippi, I say find some Carp fish meal, and help reduce the population of carp.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Fish is a very good source of protein; high quality as it is meat based. I would be very careful about the source--feed grade vs fertilizer grade, that sort of thing. Google feed recipes, Late one night I tripped across some mixes in England where they still feed fishmeal. It gave very specific information, like making cookies! If you can't find a specific recipe,remember, a little goes a long way because it is a high quality protein.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Fertrell is well known for their feed ingredients. Here's a link to what they offer. You can try their "Locate a dealer" page on their web site. Usually you can find their products at a feed store or feed mill. Feed mills mix up feed recipes for people out of the ingredients they sell.

http://www.fertrell.com/poultry.htm

10. WildflowerJLH

Unfortunately, I get "no results" when I search for a Fertrell dealer within 500 miles.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by