Where to buy food grade DE?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CT, Sep 23, 2011.

1. CT

CT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    Great Lakes
    I haven't found food grade diatomaceous earth locally. I found non-food grade DE at Country Max, but there's 1% "other" in the ingredient list, and I wasn't sure if that was OK. The local health food shop sells it in the pet section, and I wasn't sure if it was food grade or not, but the price was like $16 for a little shaker that would hardly do my coop once. Where can I get it online for a decent price? I have done searches, but the shipping is so variable, that it's hard to get an apples to apples comparison. I figured some of you have already done this homework and would probably be willing to share notes.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I personally bought mine off Ebay. I got a 10 pound bag with free shipping for $20

there are lots of other sites online that sell it too.

3. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I am in the Chicago land area and I get food grade DE from TSC (tractor supply company)

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    My local feed store carries it.

5. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Quote:Wow! Our feed mill has food grade DE in 50 lb. sacks for $16. One 50 lb. sack will last me a year using in in the coop and on the garden.

6. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I've gotten it from ebay too. A 50lb bag from there was cheaper than any place else I found.

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

No one knows what it even is around here, and I have given thought to getting a couple of big 50# bags and dividing it up into smaller ones and advertising it. I use it religiously in my indoor birds and want to use it with the alpacas too. . .can't figure out how to do it without it getting hard . . .

8. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Quote:I would call first before heading to TSC. Went went to my local this morning and could not find it. Just an empty shelf. The sales lady could not understand it. "as soon as we started to stock this it just started flying off the shelves" This is also a TSC that is located in a urban area.
    I think many people are learning about its good for all sorts of animals.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  9. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    We ordered a 50 lb bag and was sent through the mail,,we had to pick it up at the
    post office (obviously) but was so easy to find,,,here's the place we ordered it from online,,,
    agrogreencanada.com
    it's in Canada,,if you are in the states,then you can contact them and ask them for
    a link to the states..
    [​IMG] it's the best stuff on earth!

10. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    My local Tractor Supply has just started carrying it. $12 for a 20 pound bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by