Where to buy food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in Northern Illinois?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChicksnPacas, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ChicksnPacas

ChicksnPacas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    I've tried to find food grade DE, but shipping a 50 pound bag is as much as the price of the product itself. Does anyone know who carries it in Illinois? The places I've tried such as TSC, Farm & Fleet and local feed stores have not heard of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
  3. ChicksnPacas

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    It may just be shipping to Illinois, but Perma-Guard charges $35 for a 50 pound bag of DE and $29 to ship. I'm hoping to find somewhere where I can pick it up to save shipping.

4. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Gee, I'm surprised that you can't get it at your local feed stores. I was in ours today and the guy there told me that while he doesn't normally stock it, he'd be happy to order some for me.

Why don't you go back to the feed store and ask if they would order it for you. Also, do you have a co-op near you? If so, maybe they could help.

5. Richard

Richard Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Antioch IL
    Quote:it may be to far for you but wadsworth feed has it . Its on wadsworth road right by Rt 41 and 173

6. ChicksnPacas

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    Wow, thanks! I pretty much gave up because I just couldn't see paying $60+ for it. There's someone at my husband's work near Wadsworth that can pick some up for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by