Where to buy Mandarin Ducks? Are they good? Help please.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crazy4Fowl, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    We have had some difficulties with a order of ducklings we recently placed. 9 have died and they are only replacing 6. The company is efowl.com. I was thinking instead of getting the reship, we could cancel the order and buy some Mandarin Ducks , I know there might be a long wait for them, but might be worth it. I am intrigued by their color. I know they fly but is there anything else I should know before purchasing them? I know most places sell them in a juvenile pair, I'm fine with that. Where do I buy them? A place to buy thats fairly cheap, and has a good background? Are they good ducks? Are they smaller than normal ducks?
    Thanks, Crazy4Fowl

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Mandarin ducks are actually less noisy than Call ducks so that's a plus especially if you live in the city where there are less noise tolerant people. Last time I saw one was literally just one. My friend was looking for these ducks a while back and gave up. I know there was at least one breeder in my area (this includes Washington and Oregon)
    I would go down the breeder route. Depending on where you live you live you could also go to shows and look. Make sure to talk to duck breeders about them especially ones who raise bantam ducks. It'd be even better if you found an ABA (American Bantam Association) sanctioned show because that's where the ducks been accepted not the APA. (American Poultry association)

3. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Ok thanks @Twistedfeather

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by