Where to buy TRUE blue ameracaunas?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by lancasterflock, Sep 20, 2015.

1. lancasterflock

lancasterflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Does anyone know where to buy a true blue ameracauna? Ive looked at several hatcheries and its so confusing because most call the the easter egger the ameracauna. Im looking for a few pure breed hens.

2. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Look around locally. Chances are you won't find a hatchery with pure americaunas, or even if they say they are, they most likely will NOT be pure. I would explore small breeders in your area. You might not find them right away, but if you look hard enough you can find them. I got my blue americauna from a place about an hour away through an ad i found on Craigslist.

3. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Great info waddles, thank you. Im gonna look on craigslist right now. Would you happen to know the identifying traits of a pure breed blue ameracauna. I just want to make sure if Im paying for a true blue and traveling i want to make sure im getting a true blue.

4. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    I am new to the Americauna world, so i am sorry i can not tell you the identifying characteristics. Hopefully someone else on here will be able to tell you. The breeder who i bought my blue americauna from were very reputable, experienced breeders so i was able to trust them. I have heard that true Americaunas do not have much of a comb, though.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Meyer hatchery has blue Ameraucana, I think you can also get them through My Pet Chicken.

I've had luck putting want ads on CL, then again I was looking for a splash Ameraucana cockerel. Found two very nice birds that way, but was never looking for hens. You just never know who is breeding what around you [​IMG]

Whereabouts are you in Oregon?

6. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I live in the Roseburg area. I searched craigslist far and wide. Actually I think every place in Oregon and havent had any luck finding them. I did hear about meyer hatchery having the true ameracaunas and i looked on there to buy some and they were sold out. I emailed meyer and all they could tell me is they are sold out until further notice and they will put up a notice on the website when more come available. :/ havent looked on my pet chicken. I will look there next :)

7. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Thank you donrae!

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
  9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Also - keep your ear to the ground (joining as many "local" fb groups, etc for poultry as you can find can help) for any/all local poultry shows -- attending them is a great way to find the folks that have the birds you are looking for and start networking to source stock.

10. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks ol grey. I actually already emailed one of the people on the oregon contact list. The one that is located in Bend, OR. I will look again for the other contact as I must not have seen it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by