1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to buy watering cups and supplies?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenLVR, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ChickenLVR

ChickenLVR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Hi there!
    I am new to all of this. My husband just built an amazing coop and we are looking into watering and feeding systems. I like the cup waterer system like this http://beaktime.com/water.php but it seems like it would be cheaper to make if I can find where we can by the cups. Anyone know of a place to buy these online? Really, that's all it is, right? Along with the pipe and bucket...
    Just a little back info, we are getting 8 silkie chicks in a few weeks, so we have some time since they will be in the brooding box for 5 weeks or so...
    Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. nick123548

nick123548 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    NC/SC
  3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

ebay... about 5 bucks each, delivered.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...nk+cups&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

4. pampered_poultry

pampered_poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
    I will say that this watering system in the best way to go to prevent water from being spilled everywhere. We sell these same watering systems and they work great in warmer weather...when it gets colder you will either have to cut off system or use something other than PVC. I am in south GA and we use heavy duty hydraulic hose and copper fitting to avoid having to shut off the water system when it gets below 25 degrees F.

5. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Hey i have Silkies, and we tried the watering system that you want to put in your coop but with silkies not being as big as other chickens mine had a hard time hitting the little yellow part to get the water to fill the cups they are quite stiff and you have to hit it at the very bottom of the cup. Also I wanted clean water that we did not have to constantly change so we went with a nipple system very easy for them to use and i have my 2 day old chicks on the nipples too in the brooder to train them how to use it. we hooked our system up using the pressure regulator that the cups use to our silkie coop straight to a garden hose, and we also use the nipples for our laying hens, on a graviety feed setup running from our pump house. we just put a 5 gallon bucket on a shelf up high with a toilet float in it. so water is always fresh for them. and from thier it runs down to the nipples pretty easy to set up and no dirty water to clean up or them to poop in. and then once a week since we have the bucket i can add apple cider vinager to the bucket and it dilutes it for the hens too. as far as if it is goona frezze we wait till about the middle of the day and turn off the flow of water to the bucket that way the hens drink water till time for bed and the system is not full so no broken pipes. and just turn back on in am

6. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    another supplier is www.farmtek.com. they sell by the piece, including pipe

7. ChickenLVR

ChickenLVR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Have you had any issued with your system leaking? I read somewhere that the nipples leak, which is why I thought this system might be better. Also, silkies are the only chickens we will have, so we can make the system low enough for them...but do you think they would still have a hard time reaching the little yellow part?

Thanks for your help!

8. LakeBird

LakeBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Pierce County, WA
    I would like to make an automatic watering system using cups. Does anyone have some guidance for me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by