1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to buy, what brand?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by new2chickens, Mar 3, 2008.

1. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    We had some scratch that we were given with the chickens that we fed yesterday...so I went to the store this morning and bought some Layer 16% protein. I got it from Tractor Supply, it is Dumor brand. Anyone use this? Also where can I buy Oyster Shells for the hens...they don't carry it at Tractor Supply.

Sarah

2. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Hello,

I do use Dumour 16% layer from Tractor Supply. I have also purchased oyster shell from Tractor Supply. It is usually right next to the Grit:yiipchick:)

3. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    I will have to look again! I didn't see it!

Sarah

4. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    If you are using a laying mesh, you don't need to feed oyster shells. I find it better to feed your fowl a finisher type mesh, and leave oyster shells out for the hens. Too much calcium can be bad for roosters. TSC does sell oyster shells though, in small and large bags.

5. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    An alternative to oyster shell is to feed the egg shells back to the hens. Plus it's free!!

6. Luke74

Luke74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Eggs shells are free! BUT you have to crush them up to a small size to prevent them from looking anything like egg shell for obvious reason. I've heard some bake them after washing them. I have no idea at what temp or how long, but sounds good. LOL!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  7. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    You can microwave the egg shells on High for one minute, let them cool a bit, then grind them up in a food processor. I mix mine in cooked old fashioned oatmeal and feed it to my laying hens. You can also add plain probiotic yogurt to the mixture. YUMMY! My hens get this treat once a week. The rooster and pullet get some, too, without the eggshells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by