Where to buy wormer?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fhlstables, Jan 13, 2008.

1. fhlstables

fhlstables Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2008
    Hello. I have two feed type stores to purchase products. They are Tractor Supply company and Orsheln's. I need to go and get wormer for my chickens but not sure if they carry anything. I don't know where to get this sort of thing asap w/o ordering online.

What do I buy when I get wormer?

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I use Ivermectin, its cheap and its easy to give. you can get it at any farm and ranch store.
    How many chickens do you have?

3. fhlstables

Jan 12, 2008
    Ivermectin that you buy for horses??

4. fhlstables

Jan 12, 2008
    Oops sorry, for got to add your other question. I have about 12 chickens.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't know whether there are any wormers *labelled* for chickens, and I am pretty sure all the offlabel uses involve real but often poorly studied isseus w/ withdrawal times for eating or hatching the eggs. Be worth your looking into first...

Pat

6. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Yes, the liquid ivermectin a 50 ml bottle is abotu $30 but you give chickens .25 cc (for a 5lb bird) twice a year so it lasts a long time.
    I know that is is pretty much the only thing chicken sanctuaries use of their rescue chickens.
    And I use it on mine. You can give orally or on the skin on the back of the neck, where the chicken can't reach.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  7. fhlstables

Jan 12, 2008
    Thank you this helps me SO much. I'm new to chickens and just want to make sure I'm doing the best for them.

8. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Are your chickens for laying or meat or just pets?

9. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I used the horse wormer. I put a 1 inch squirt in a jar of water to dissolve (lots of shaking) and added it to a gallon waterer, refilling new as needed. My chickens were penned so this was their only water source for 4 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by