where to buy?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ranger4327, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ranger4327

ranger4327 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Northern Maine
    greetings! my first post here !! we hope to raise chickens this summer and am in the process of researching and building a coop. i was looking for places to buy chicks, but when i went to order, they only accept orders of 25 or more chicks. i want to start out with about 8-10 at first and dont want/need 25 for now. i dont know of anyone locally that would want to share an order. Does anyone know of any chick hatcheries that do not have a minimum order ? thanks for any help you can provide !

2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Mypetchicken.com and Meyerhatchery.com have small order programs. Ideal hatchery also lets you buy a small number of chicks.

However, at this time Tractor Supply Co. is getting their chicks in. If you have one near you, you may want to look into it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  3. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    my suggestion is to call every feed store in a 30 mile radius! I love the idea that Meyers and MyPetChicken have but they also add "packing peanuts" for extra warmth so in an order of 8-10 you could get just as many "peanuts" that you would have to re-home or raise and let them go to the stewpot. Some love their peanuts, some dont..just a thought.. [​IMG]

4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    If you have a Tractor Supply Company or Farm and Fleet near you-- call them... they have their chicks in now! You can get "mixed Pullets" for $2.29 each
    They aren't "mutts" but they have a bunch of different breeds all ina big brooder, and you go pick them out!

[​IMG]

5. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Or where do you live maybe a fellow BYC member will have the chicks you want near you.

6. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Opps forgot to say [​IMG] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. ranger4327

ranger4327 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Northern Maine
    thanks folks ! i live in northern maine and the nearest feed supply store is 50 miles away, and last i checked, they were done taking orders allready. i do need to call them again tho, just to confirm this ! i guess i got a late start this year and will know better in the future. BUT, the snow hasnt completely left us yet and was thinking i had more time! i am glad this site is available and will be doing alot of reading here !! thanks for your input so far !!

cb

8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    [​IMG] You might want to go to your first post in this thread and edit the title to say "northern Maine" that will help members in your area find you and respond.

Also if you have craigslist , try looking or posting there too

here's the chickens listed in the farm and garden section for Maine

http://maine.craigslist.org/search/grd?query=chicken&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

Nice price on those nesting boxes!

Good luck!

nancy

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  9. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Where will you be getting your feed for your chickens?
    Almost anywhere that sells feed, knows where to get chicks...
    Also-- call and see who handles 4-H in your area-- they ALLWAYS have someone with chicks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by