Where to buy4-month old pullets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MareeZoCool, Jun 8, 2010.

1. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

We just lost two of our hens, one ran off with the neighbor's roo, & the neighbors happily locked her in their barn.Not wanting to start problems over a hen, I'm looking to buy a replacement. The second lost hen was killed/mortally wounded by a coon Sunday morning. Now I'm looking to purchase 2 hens, thought 4 month old pullets would be a good idea, since my roo is searching for his missing harem.LOL!

My surviving hen is a Black Astralorp mix, she's unreceptive to poor roo since Sunday's attack, and basically she's still in shock She is staying close to her remaining chick, a pullet she hatched out April 24. Until this recent coon attack, mom -hen had been avoiding this pullet completely. I feel it's a good sign towards recovery that she's accepting her chick(pullet) as a companion.

I'm hoping for Buff Orpington hens. We want those egg layers. Ameracaunas would also be a fine choice, if anyone has any idea how or where I could get some delivered here in the next two weeks. My hubby finally decided a "fort knox" type of coop is mandatory, and has decided to build one immediately. We are in Ohio, the Mid-Ohio Valley, winters are cold, so the hens need to be col-hardy & winter layers.

2. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    Not really what you're looking for but it may help... Meyer Hatchery

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Finding started pullets who have not had beaks trimmed may be difficult through the hatcheries. Try a swap, or Craig's list too.

4. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    if you feel like driving to michigan i'll set you right up:thumbsup

5. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    I too find craigslist to be a great resource.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by