Where to fill water in Hovabator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tryingtohaveitall, Apr 27, 2009.

1. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Sorry for such a stupid question, but I can't figure it out. Does the water go in the bottom, on the styrofoam, under the plastic liner or on top of the plastic liner?

Thanks for your help!
    Jo Ann

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It goes on top of the plastic liner, in the wells.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    in the pastic liner-there should be a specific spot that is lower than the rest of the plastic to make a "little puddle"-can you see it?

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    If you run a piece of aquarium tubing through the vent hole at the top, under the wire and into the plastic well, you may add water without opening the lid. This keeps humidity in and temperature constant.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    In the plastic liner. You will fill the middle well to start out with, then the well next to the middle one come day 18, if you are hatching chicken eggs.

Here's a link to GQF's site where you can download instructions if you do not have them. [​IMG]
    https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/instructions.asp

6. tryingtohaveitall

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Thank you so much! Originally I put the water in the bottom, then decided it went on top. But then I wondered what happens when the turner comes out. Are they sitting in the water then, or no because of the wells?

Sorry, newbie questions!!

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:No, they dont sit in the water. There should be a mesh screen that sits over the plastic liner.

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Try looking at the link that I added to my previous post. That should help you get things set up right. [​IMG]

9. tryingtohaveitall

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Doi. Of course there is, sorry. Long weekend of working and apparently I'm still not awake. (blush)

Thanks for the help!

10. Meloout831

Meloout831 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    This is dumb!! First, in my instructions that came with my hova bator,
    says to fill the outer well.. on the website it says fill the middle. Which one then?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by