Where to find a chicken processor?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by itsy, May 15, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I don't think I could process my own chickens yet... but I would consider it for the future.

Is there a master listing somewhere of processors in each state? How do I go about finding someone?

I'm in NJ.

Thanks!

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I don't think there is a master list, as processors come and go, but that would be a neat idea. Many people here do their own however, and there is a wealth of resources for how to get over that initial leap as well [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I found mine on craigslist - I posted under the farm and garden as a wanted ad

4. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:Good Idea [​IMG]

5. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    I asked at the local feed store. I trusted them to give me a reputable name since being in a related
    industry they are up on that kind of thing.

6. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
  7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Why don't you save yourself the trouble, and consider it now instead of down the road? If you think you can do it in the future, what's going to change between now and then? I have seen this time and time again with people on here, saying they don't think they can do it, but when they finally commit themselves, they find it isn't so bad and are glad they have learnt a new skill that makes them more self sufficient. Just try one. If it's too much for you, then find a processor. I'm not trying to be pushy, just trying to give you the nudge you need to do this yourself. YOU CAN DO IT! If you have questions, there are plenty of us on here that will help you thru it.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  8. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Why don't you save yourself the trouble, and consider it now instead of down the road? If you think you can do it in the future, what's going to change between now and then? I have seen this time and time again with people on here, saying they don't think they can do it, but when they finally commit themselves, they find it isn't so bad and are glad they have learnt a new skill that makes them more self sufficient. Just try one. If it's too much for you, then find a processor. I'm not trying to be pushy, just trying to give you the nudge you need to do this yourself. YOU CAN DO IT! If you have questions, there are plenty of us on here that will help you thru it.

I will second this comment. You may be surprised how easy it is once you've done it. If you've ever clean a fish it's not a lot different.

I will add one suggestion. Try skinning the first one, instead of plucking to save yourself some time. If you are able to do it this way then go ahead and pluck them.

9. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I live in MD and had a very hard time finding someone, even after posting on craigslist....many old skills and trades are just vanishing.

I found one, thats right, one person an hour away from me who could do it. Another thing to check, most processors do it in bulk and have to have a certain number of birds done for it to even be profitable for them. The lady i contacted felt bad for me and agreed to do my 3 roosters even though her minuinim was 25. She was great though and taught me how to do it right there.

10. TinaSwarr

TinaSwarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    x3....i have even made some money showing others ...great skill to learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by