Where to find an element for homemade watering system

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lhousesoccer, Nov 29, 2012.

1. lhousesoccer

lhousesoccer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    I made a watering system this summer from a 5-gallon bucket and a 5-gallon water cooler jug. Drilled holes in the neck, cut 4 larger round holes 2" up from the bottom of the bucket, evenly spaced. Turn the water cooler jug upside down in the bucket. Works awesome. Except when it freezes. Which is now. I need to find an element I can stick in there. Low wattage, just enough to keep it from freezing. I've looked online, but maybe I'm not typing the right keywords. I checked my local TSC too but I don't see anything there. Any ideas?

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    [​IMG]Use a fish tank heater. Also post pix...

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Read the "cookie tin " heater threads
    You can build one for nearly nothing

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  4. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    Bird bath heater

5. lhousesoccer

lhousesoccer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    As requested, pics of my homemade waterer. Simple to make. Just make sure the bottom of the holes you cut in the side of the bucket come are higher than the height of the holes your drill in the neck of the water jug. Otherwise, the water will just run out. You need enough depth in the bucket so water runs out the holes in the neck and then covers the hole, sealing off airflow into the jug and preventing any more water from coming out, but the water level in the bucket obviously can't come up to the bottom of the holes you cut before covering the drilled holes. Clear enough? LOL/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Wow!!! You should make those and sell them!!!

I Like!!!
    [​IMG]

7. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Looks like realy good idea. I think I would make one of those cookie tin heaters with a light bulb.Simply place it on top of the jug. There is no way I can see that you can put the heater in it once you break the vacume the jug will simply empty. Thake a look at my post gravity fed water system and let me have your input.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by