where to find hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cheryl, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH will soon be making the coop and he wants to use 1/2" hardware cloth, so far we have only found small rolls at Home Depot, any suggestions for 50 ft rolls, and do they make it 6' wide?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some farm & feed stores carry it in larger rolls. Lowe's usually has some, but not as tall or in as long a roll as the feedstore. Tractor Supply maybe?

3. Cheryl

I suggested to DH that he put the 24" hardware cloth on the bottom against a larger wire, but he wants the whole thing to look good, does anyone have a picture of this so I can show him?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here's a couple:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I perfer to use it on the whole coop that way snakes and smaller critter have a harder time getting inside. Then it also keep the big critter in too! lol She loves the new coop can you tell? I would try tractor supply or a feed store for larger rolls. I'm not sure if it comes in 6' I know the place I get it only goes to 4' x 150'.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  6. lakecountychick

lakecountychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    I used 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch hard ware cloth on my coop to keep critters and snakes out. I bought it from Tractor Supply.[​IMG]

7. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    The large building supply stores around here have it in large rolls, and cheaper than the HD and L. Not sure if there is 6 ft rolls but check. Also you can run it vertically and connect the sides (or splices) of a 4 ft roll with 2x4 studs. probably should have one at that interval anyway.

8. Cheryl

Vertical is a great idea, as long as it is practical for pen size, and since it is 6' x 12' there shouldn't be too much lose! Now what is the best 1/2" or 1", I've told DH 1/2" but he is hedging to 1" thank you

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I would go with 1/2" hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by