1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to find Silkie pullet chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JessicaAndE, Mar 3, 2017.

1. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    Hi! We are planning to get a couple of chickens and my 5 year old is set on Silkies. I've been searching where to get these and am only finding them as straight run. I'm worried we would end up with a rooster which I can't have here in the city. Does anyone know if these female chicks can be found from any of the hatcheries? Thank you!

2. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Silkies are one of those breeds that are difficult to sex until they either crow or lay an egg so if you can only have hens it might be best to get silkie hens around the age of 6-8 months, preferably ones who have already started to lay so you know they are hens. I know My Pet Chicken sells them as pullets but I don't know how effective their sexing is since they are a bantam and bantams are difficult to sex as chicks,

3. Melody the Goat

Melody the Goat Out Of The Brooder

How many maximum chicks do you want? Many hatcheries have a minimum of 15 chicks per order.

The only hatchery that I've ordered female Silkies from is My Pet Chicken. It is a good hatchery to buy from except that the shipping costs are pretty high.

4. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    Thanks so much for the suggestions and information! I really appreciate it. Now it makes sense why they are usually straight run as chicks. We can only have two to three hens in the coop that we are getting. I want two barred rocks and a Silkie (for the 5 year old's happiness ha ha!) I did check My Pet Chicken and it looked as if they are sold out mostly through May. I was hoping to get them sooner than that as I may get the Barred Rocks next weekend. I don't know how it would go to introduce a Silkie later in the summer? My thought was to have them all be chicks together. But this is all new to me, so I guess I'll have to read more about it. Thank you!

5. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    You will need more than one silkie and they won't do well living with barred rocks either. If you want silkies I say only get silkies or have a seperate pen for them.

6. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind!! I might start a new thread about what birds people might suggest....maybe I need to rethink my hens.

7. Melody the Goat

Melody the Goat Out Of The Brooder

We have always raised our Silkies with our other chickens (and we've had many different breeds, including Barred Rocks). Of our full-grown chickens we have a Delaware, a Sex-Link, an Americana, two Light Brahmas and one Silkie. They are all hens and do just fine together.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  8. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017

Thanks! That's good to hear. Maybe if we raise them as babies together they'd be fine.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Silkies can live with other birds, but my concern would be your space. Sounds like your coop is on the small side already. Having one silkie and two Rocks in a smallish space sounds like a recipe for a very miserable silkie to me. I think the most successful mixed flocks have more than one silkie, and lots of space or free range.

I know we want to give our kiddos what they like, but at some point, especially when you're raising animals, the kids need to learn that what they want isn't always what is best for the animal.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by