Where to fit my roost into my mini-coop

Mucky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
small town iowa
I need advise about my roost. I am building a mini-coop for my backyard. It will be home to 3 bantam cochins. Here are some pictures.

52742_dscn0416.jpg

52742_dscn0415.jpg

52742_dscn0414.jpg

52742_dscn0413.jpg

The inside of the coop is only about 3 feet by 3 feet. I plan on putting bedding up to the top of the baseboard, that will give me about 4 1/2 inches of bedding. My problem is I only have about 21 inches of room at the back wall and about 27 inches at the front wall, measuring from the top of the bedding to the roof.

I had planned on putting the roost from the center of the back wall to the center of the front. I never really put much thought into it. But now I am realizing that the chickens will have to sneak under the roost to get to the nesting boxes or jump over the roost.

I am thinking I might just mount it a couple inches higher then the bedding, so that the hens can just hop over it to get to the nest boxes. Wish I would have made the coop alittle taller. Oh well, no turning back now. Too late for a major remodel.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I will get some pictures of my whole coop and my new chicks up soon!

You could use a 2x6 turned on its side. Cut a couple 5" or 6" lengths of 2x2 or 2x4 to the bottom for a sturdy base, attached perpendicular to the sideways 2x6 on both ends. Then just set in there, at least 8" or so from any wall. Make it sturdy enough, and you won't need to attach it permanently. That also lets you remove it easily for cleaning and changing out bedding.

It looks like your floorboards are about 3" tall, so the 2x6 with the 2x2s under it would give you about 4" clearance above the bedding. If that's not enough to keep their tails out of their poop, you could make the footers taller. Even adding a couple inches, they should have no problem hopping up to the roost or over it.

Sweet coop!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom