Where to get a good reliable thermometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cowgirl71, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm tired of spending money on thermometers that are several degrees off. I want a reliable thermometer that's accurate within one degree or less. Regular or digital doesn't matter. If it measures humidity, that's a bonus, but not required. Must be easy on the wallet. Which thermometer would you all recommend? [​IMG]

Also feel free to mention which thermometers NOT to buy. I'm never buying a GQF thermometer again. They make great incubators but awful thermometers...

2. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    I want to know the answer to this question too! I usually just let the chicks hatching rate tell me, but I am sure this is not the most accurate way to deal with it.

3. kyfarm

kyfarm Out Of The Brooder

usually find in the garden/home section of these stores.

4. kyfarm

kyfarm Out Of The Brooder

oops something went wrong with first post. we usually find the battery operated digital thermos found at walmart/kmart, lowes menards home type stores to be great. usually under $15.00 and they do the job well for us some have a lowest and highest temperature /humidity since you last pushed the button so you can see if there is a problem and can pin point. thanks - kyfarm

5. 5acrehome

5acrehome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    I use a walmart brand meter "Acu*rite". It is a grey meter about 1/4" thick with humidity and temp inside and out display. I bet it only cost me 10$ has work well all year.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I also use an accurite from Walmart. Costs about 10 bucks and measures humidity too.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Try the RX for something that has to be accurate.

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Thank you all for your input! The Acu-Rite does look very interesting! Next time I'm at Wal-Mart I'll make sure to look at them! [​IMG]

rebelcowboysnb: The first pic is very clear and I was able to search Mabis digital thermometer. It is guaranteed accurate within .2 degrees F. I bet this thermometer would work real well if you were to poke it through one of the red air plug holes on an incubator with a circulated air fan. True or False?

The second and third pics were too blurry for me to read the brand. The fourth pic, call me ignorant, but WHAT is he holding in his hand? (I LOVE icanhascheeseburger.com, BTW - it's SO funny [​IMG])

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The top pic is what I use stuffed threw a hole in my incubator. Have no Idea what hes holding in the last pic.

10. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I'm tired of spending money on thermometers that are several degrees off. I want a reliable thermometer that's accurate within one degree or less. Regular or digital doesn't matter. If it measures humidity, that's a bonus, but not required. Must be easy on the wallet. Which thermometer would you all recommend?

I quite agree - right now I have 7 (count them) seven thermometers in my first incubation experience. Everything from the LG mercury thermometer to a Zilla Thermometer/hygrometer, and there is 6 degree difference between them. I have a "fake egg" placed in there (day 8) with 3 of the thermometers measuring and still there is a WILD difference, so I am assuming that the oral digital (human) thermometer is the most accurate and setting that the closest to 99.5
    I just candled one egg an hour ago (even tho I was going to wait till day 10, brown eggs) and guess what - IT WAS ALIVE! [​IMG]

I still don't know how the hatch will turn out, but I am disgusted that so many thermometers are on the market that obviously are not accurate!!!!!!!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by