Where to get a new coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abbygibson1212, Oct 18, 2015.

1. abbygibson1212

abbygibson1212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    Most affordable place you know of to get a BIG chicken coop?

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry to say, but the only 'affordable' really big coops are the ones you build yourself... :/

Prefabs are either too small, shoddy, or too expensive... or all 3... a decent, well made, large coop will cost a hefty chunk of change, not to mention shipping/delivery...

3. abbygibson1212

abbygibson1212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    Well, I know it will be expensive, just trying to find the least expensive! @RavynFallen

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Yeah, they're not cheap... I saw one that was better than others I had seen, but I can't seem to remember the website... if I do, I'll post it... otherwise, a simple conversion to a large shed is a good option... :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    *2 - I would recommend a prefab shed also. You can then fit it out to your own specifications and include space for storing feed etc etc.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree. A shed from the big box store, or check craigslist, and add hardware cloth over more windows and vents. Mary

7. BeachMomma

BeachMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    NC
    How many chickens do you have?
    We decided to build our own coop v2.0 because we made the HUGE mistake of buying a prefab coop which was supposed to house up to 4 chickens. It was a joke, by 3 months old we could tell this coop would be the future hospital coop because we needed a much bigger one.
    We're just about done with building the new coop from scratch and to be dreadfully honest, it would of been cheaper to buy a $300 shed from Lowes and spend $100 to retrofit it for chickens and be done. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our new coop but cost effectiveness of building from scratch vs a shed.. Christmas will be slim lol.

Good luck with finding what you need just don't buy a prefab coop unless it's built from solid wood with plenty of ventilation and room. If it says for 4 chickens in reality it fits 1 adult and a baby chick.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  8. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    The Amish/Mennonites build awesome sheds and chicken coops but of course they aren't as cheap as the big box stores. Still might be worth calling around and asking about though, sometimes they have "repos" that come back and are resold.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's cheaper to build from scratch. Looking at Lowe's sheds for example a wood 4x8 shed is $450, a vinyl 7x7 is $650. These do not come with flooring material, that is an added cost. Decorative sheathing is about $30 per 4x8, 2x4's are $2.50 and 1/2" plywood for floor and roof is $25 ea. You can build a superior 8x8 with shingles for $500-550. It's the free labor and love of building things that makes it so reasonable. The hardest part of building a shed is building the door. To make that easy one could pick up a cheap door from a restore type place. It doesn't have to be an exterior door with seals, can be interior door as long as it's made of real wood.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by