Where to get baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shakecc, Jun 21, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    I am starting off with a small coop and I am only planning to order 6 chicks. Many of the places online have a much higher minimun order. Mypetchicken.com charges $25.00 for orders under 14 chicks. Does anyone have any ideas of where to look in my area for chicks?

Anyone from Central OH that is also planning to order from Mypetchicken.com that wants to combine a order with me? [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
  3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Are there any tack shops/feed stores/co-ops selling locally? I bought mine at a co-op where they were only 12 hours old. Lovely hydrated birds, great temperaments, and not one loss...this late in the season I'd buy locally. Transportation is such a risk at all times. Don't forget that local breeders may have this season's pullets for sale too. If you want layers you'd have eggs by fall...[​IMG]

4. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Just received my order from Ideal Hatchery. I ordered 5 welsummers and 5 Cuckoo Marans. They came with 3 red chicks. Thinking they are sexlink males but who knows. But Ideal dosen't have a minimum order but they do send extras for warmth depending on the weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by