where to get birds in the los angeles area?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by debershell, May 22, 2008.

1. debershell

debershell Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    i have five hens who are not laying nearly as many eggs as they used to - they are five years old now. i'm looking to add a few birds, preferably araucanas, but i don't have the time or space to raise babies this time around. does anyone know where i might be able to find 3-5 more pullets who would be old enough to hold their own with the big girls? oh, and just fyi, i have one sussex, one brahma, one araucana, one wyandotte, and a hamburg.

2. debershell

May 22, 2008
    seriously? nobody?

3. 562Jen

562Jen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Try Blacksmith's Corner on Lakewood Blvd. in Bellflower just south of the 91. They get Araucana, Barred Rock, Leghorn and Rhode Island chicks frequently. Depending on your timing and sales, they may have pullets.

4. mipsy6

mipsy6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know of two places in Los Angeles to get chicks & older chickens:

Verdugo Pet in Highland Park. It's on York Blvd at Ave 50
    John's Feed 2 on Florence in South Los Angeles

They have typical laying breeds like Rhode Island Red & Barred Rock.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. debershell

May 22, 2008
    cool, thanks! highland park is really close to me, i'll check it out -

6. mipsy6

mipsy6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I live near Highland Park too. Maybe we're Urban Chicken neighbors. [​IMG]

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    if you are up to a little bit of a ride, ham and eggs ranch (dot com) has a spectacular selection of birds. Call first for appointment, she hates drive up surprises.

8. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hey deb - sorry there hasn't been much response in terms of adults in the breed(s) you are looking for . . .
    if you get frustrated trying to find "exactly" that you might considered adopting some young hens from the LA shelter system. i got my BEST chicken that way! (she is a full blooded buttercup - check out my avatar!).
    here is a link to petfinder. http://www.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?pet.Animal=Bird&pet.Breed=&pet.
    you
    can put your own zipcode into the box on the left hand side and it will come up with the "birds" (mostly chickens) that are closest to you in the shelter system!
    good luck and once you find your new chicken friends, however you DO end up finding them, please post!
    [​IMG]
    (p.s. when the shelter indicated that a chicken is a baby - it usually just means "young" not that it is a chick)

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  9. debershell

May 22, 2008
    that is so cool, i would love to rescue some hens!!! i will definitely check that out too, thanks for the info!

10. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    awesome!
    be sure to post whenever you get your new chicken friends!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by