1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to get chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blb, Jan 26, 2008.

1. blb

blb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, I have a kinda stupid question. I want day old chicks but Ideal says they are pullets. Aren't those teenagers?

Where can I get 3 ~ young chicks?

Beth [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pullets just means they are GIRL chicks. Started pullets are older ones. Day old chicks that are girls are also called pullets. Does that make sense?

3. karen

karen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2007
    Easton,PA
    I am sold on "My Pet Chicken" http://www.mypetchicken.com/default.aspx

They
    are nice people and can put together a real custom order-You can call them and "pre-order" with a minimum of 3. You can specify hens or cocks too! That just seems like a miracle after my experience with a "straight run" of 25 (+ 1 free rare chick)(++++they put 5 xtra in the box to keep them warm or in case some died...) No one died- and I had 31 chickens.....17 were roosters. gah.
    "My Pet Chicken" is a wonderful concept for the back yarder!

4. I was planning on ordering from Meyer Hatchery. Seemed reasonable, friendly on the phone. I was going to order 7.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Look around and pick the hatchery closest to you for the best chance of survival. Good luck!

6. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    try a feed supply store, around here they either have some on hand or they can get you a few of what you want.

7. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    I've had excellent experiences with both My Pet Chicken and Ideal. My birds from MPC are beautiful - not typical "hatchery" chicks, in my opinion. The RIR cockeral from Ideal is hatchery typical, but he has an amazingly great temperment, and is very healthy - as were all the chicks from Ideal. I was worried that Ideal would send me lots of cockerals as "warmers" because I ordered only about 10 my last round, but when I contacted them and explained that wouldn't be OK, they were great about not sending them. I'm ordering from them again this year, and am thrilled that they have self-blue or lavender silkies. I know the silkies won't be show quality, or even breeder quality, but it's nearly impossible to get a good quality lavender, since most of the lavender breeders haven't wanted to let them go. As a result, this lets others start breeding lavenders, with the understanding that it will be several years of breeding before anything decent is hatched...

Laura

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Don't forget MYPETCHICKEN adds $25 for a warmer if you only order a few.

I ordered mine from Ideal - I ordered toward the end of summer, it was nice and warm and I got my 8 girls in perfect shape, very healthy and very cute!

(PS - they gave me 5 eggs today - a record!)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  9. I was quoted $33 shipping for 3 birds originally. Gonna get 4 more for a friend. Guess I will let everyone know how Meyer is...

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    meyer was good with my 8 that I ordered they have good costomer service and 1 was a roo but he found a good home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by