Where to get DRY sand for my coop?? or how to dry it?

MIchickenlady

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 10, 2017
Battle Creek, Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone,
For those who use sand in their coop, where do you get it?
I've had such trouble finding it bagged at Home Depot or Menards- its always kept outside and its wet.
Do you have a method for drying your sand before putting it in the coop?
I have limited space, bags work best.
Any tips or advice??
Thanks!!

Hello,
I would have trouble telling you where to get the sand as I don't know where you are. But if you do not need a lot of sand you can just put it on a tarp (or something like that) and spread it out in the sun to dry it.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for the replies!
I will check indoors by the cement supplies! Great tip!
I've always just looked outdoors in the landscaping area.
We're in Mid-MI and getting new chicks hopefully tomorrow!!
yay:)

Once you get it all spread out in the run, it will dry pretty quickly. I have one spot in my run that always gets wet when it rains, despite being a covered run. I just rake it and then place a fan in front of it. I always have a fan in the run to help keep the flies away and to create a breeze on those miserably hot humid days

We get ours at a local building supply store it's stored inside but always damp like Suz18 said it drys out fast we just dumped it in and spread it out, our was used for a dust bath thats 4x4

When I used bagged sand from Home Depot a couple years ago, I dumped it in the coop wet because I thought it was normal for it to be wet. This was in March, when its typically still pretty cold here, 30's. I decided from that experience I'd only use dry sand in the future!! My poor girls had cold feet :(
and it never dried out!! not in 3-4 months, so i scraped it all out & started over.

I put 3 tons of dry sand in the outside run 2 years ago, and now it is probably 50% poop. When it drys out, the girls dig new dusting spots. I run the roto tiller in it a couple times a year and they go crazy finding all the worms & bugs.

Back
Top Bottom