1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to get electric fence?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NHchicks, Jun 15, 2011.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I need a really large one because my hens free range over a large area here. Is that feasible cost-wise?

Any recommended electric fencing sources?

2. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Are you going to use it to keep preds out? I use mine as a second defence, or first, but with another behind it. I guess you could use 3 or 4 strands close together to keep things out, but it will NOT keep them in, they are far too feathery to feel anything.
    I would check SS, Ts or maybe Jeffers vet, sometimes you can get free shipping.
    Good luck:)

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:We got all our stuff from Tractor Supply. Most farm stores will have all that you need. There are on-line suppliers as well where you can get electric poultry netting etc. Cost depends on what you want to do. If you are trying to keep predators out then just running a few strands of hot wire probably isn't going to work. The strands would have to be very close together or they'll just jump thru and won't even get shocked. To keep dogs/coyote/foxes and a bunch of other stuff out we used field fence for goats and ran a hot wire about 8 inches from the ground around the outside. Another one along the top is even better. This will get expensive if your doing many acres.

Another solution is to use electric poultry netting and fence in a smaller area as a pasture for your chickens.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Local feed stores, online livestock retailers such as jeffers.com, and TSC has electric fencing supplies.

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Amazon has 115V and solar powered electric fences, Plus the wire to go with them. You can read peoples feedback on the different units. I've been looking to go this route (ElectricFence), myself. I don't want to confine the birds to a small pen, When I got all this property for them to roam on. I saw your earlier post, How you went almost a year with no problems. That's exactly how it went for me too. The chickens were let out in the morning to do anything they wanted to. Then one day I come home to darn near a TOTAL wipe out. Two birds left out of eleven. Just piles of feathers around the yard. I wish I could find that den, A cup of gas, a match and a fully loaded shotgun comes to mind.
    Jack

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Quote:That looks like a great idea. I guess if the fox , (Or other predator) gets stung by the fence, He hopefully, Won't be inclined to dig under it?
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by